Why Pet Insurance Is Important
With all the new procedures and advanced treatments for pet illnesses come greater costs, and pet parents are not always prepared to pay for pet medical care. Approximately $24.5 billion is spent annually on veterinary care in the United States. It’s estimated that your pet has a 33 percent chance of becoming injured or ill each year and there is a 92 percent chance that they will need medical care at least once in their lifetime.
What are pet parents doing to protect themselves and their pets in the case of injuries or unexpected illnesses? Many are enrolling in pet insurance plans. When pet parents can let their veterinarian run tests, diagnose, and treat an injury or illness correctly, everybody wins! We invite every pet parent to consider pet insurance so that their pet has access to the care they need.
Differences in Pet Insurance Plans
Most pet health insurance plans have a few basics in common. You usually pay a monthly premium; select an annual or per incident deductible amount; can go to any veterinarian you choose; pay your vet first, file a claim and then get reimbursed; and pre-existing conditions and related treatments are not covered. Breeding issues, experimental treatments, and cosmetic surgery like declawing and tail docking are also typically not covered. There are also substantial differences between companies. These differences often impact if your claim is covered or how much you get reimbursed after a veterinary visit. Some of the most important differences are:
- Whether congenital and hereditary conditions (like hip dysplasia, heart defects, eye cataracts or diabetes) are covered;
- How the reimbursement is calculated (based on the actual vet bill, a benefit schedule or usual and customary rates);
- Whether there are any limits or caps applied to your reimbursement (per incident, per year or over the pet’s lifetime); and
- Whether there is an annual contract that determines anything diagnosed in the previous year of coverage is considered pre-existing the next year; and
- Whether their customers are happy with their customer care and claims experience.
Protect your pet’s health. Compare pet insurance companies and see what company make work best for you and your family.
We at Ebenezer recommend Trupanion Pet Insurance as a great option for our clients and their pets. There are several straightforward plans available for reasonable monthly costs. Most importantly, we have had great success working with them to ensure our patients are able to receive the care they need.
To learn more, please visit the following pet insurance websites.
Call us or schedule an appointment online!
Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.
Put a plan together for your pet.